The Flying Saucers are Real - novelonlinefull.com
You’re read light novel The Flying Saucers are Real Part 38 online at NovelOnlineFull.com. Please use the follow button to get notification about the latest chapter next time when you visit NovelOnlineFull.com. Use F11 button to read novel in full-screen(PC only). Drop by anytime you want to read free – fast – latest novel. It’s great if you could leave a comment, share your opinion about the new chapters, new novel with others on the internet. We’ll do our best to bring you the finest, latest novel everyday. Enjoy
After the end of World War II, the international guided-missile race began, with the British, Russians, and ourselves as the chief contenders. Numerous types have been developed-winged bombs, small radar-guided
projectiles launched from planes, and ground-to-plane plane-to-ground, and plane-to-plane missiles, equipped with target homing devices.
In certain recent types, the range can be stated as several hundred miles. So far as I have learned, after weeks of rechecking this point, not a single long-range missile has been identified as Russian.
Since this country is working closely with Great Britain on global defense problems, it is no violation of security to say that we have probably exchanged certain guided-missile information. In regard to the British long-range missile picture outlined to me by John Steele, I can state two major facts:
1. The British have categorically denied testing such long-range missiles over American territory, where they might endanger American citizens. There is convincing evidence that they are telling the truth.
2. There is no British missile now built, or planned, that could explain the objects seen by Captain Mantell, Chiles and Whitted, and witnesses in most of the major sightings.
The preceding statement applies equally to American-built missiles.
There is no experimental craft or guided missile even remotely considered in this country that would begin to approach the dimensions and performance of the s.p.a.ce ships seen in these cases.
There is concrete evidence that the United States is as well advanced as any other nation in guided-missile development. Certain recent advances should place us in the lead, unless confidential reports on Soviet progress are completely wrong.
If American scientists and engineers can learn the source of the s.p.a.ce ships' power and adapt it to our use, it may well be the means for ending the threat of war. The Soviet scientists are well aware of this; their research into cosmic rays and other natural forces has been redoubled since the flying-saucer reports of 1947.
The secret of the s.p.a.ce ships' power is more important than even the hydrogen bomb. It may someday be the key to the fate of the world.
AFTER one year's investigation of the flying saucers and Air Force operations, I have come to the following conclusions:
1. The Air Force was puzzled, and badly worried when the disks first were sighted in 1947.
2. The Air Force began to suspect the truth soon after Mantell's death--perhaps even before.
3. Project "Saucer" was set up to investigate and at the same time conceal from the public the truth about the saucers.
4. During the spring of 1949 this policy, which had been strictly maintained by Forrestal, underwent an abrupt change. On top-level orders, it was decided to let the facts gradually leak out, in order to prepare the American people.
5. This was the reason for the April 27, 1949, report, with its suggestions about s.p.a.ce visitors.
6. While I was preparing the article for the January 1950 issue of True, it had been considered in line with the general education program. But the unexpected public reaction was mistaken by the Air Force for hysteria, resulting in their hasty denial that the saucers existed.
7. Because the Air Force feared any closer a.n.a.lysis of the Mantell case, Major Boggs was instructed to publicize the Venus explanation.
Although it had been denied, the Air Force knew that most people had forgotten this or had never known it.
8. Major Boggs, having stated this answer publicly (along with the other Chiles-Whitted and Gorman answers), was forced to stick to it, though he knew it was wrong and that the case summaries would prove it.
9. The case summaries were released to a small number of Washington newsmen, to continue planting the s.p.a.ce-travel thought; this decision being made after True's reception proved to the Air Force that the public was better prepared than had been thought.
In regard to the flying saucers themselves, I believe
that in the majority of cases, s.p.a.ce ships are the answer:
1. The earth has been under periodic observation from another planet, or other planets, for at least two centuries.
2. This observation suddenly increased in 1947, following, the series of A-bomb explosions begun in 1945.
3. The observation, now intermittent, is part of a long-range survey and will continue indefinitely. No immediate attempt to contact the earth seems evident. There may be some unknown block to making contact, but it is more probable that the s.p.a.cemen's plans are not complete.
I believe that the Air Force is still investigating the saucer sightings, either through the Air Materiel Command or some other headquarters. It is possible that some Air Force officials still fear a panic when the truth is officially revealed. In that case, we may continue for a long time to see routine denials alternating with new suggestions of interplanetary travel.
The education problem is complicated by two imperative needs. We must try to learn as much as we can about the s.p.a.ce ships' source of power, and at the same time try to prevent clues to this information from reaching an enemy on earth,
If censorship is suddenly imposed on all flying-saucer reports, this will be the chief reason. This would also help solve a minor problem where partial censorship now exists. A few test missiles launched from a southwest base have been seen by citizens at a distance from the proving grounds. In some cases, their reports have got into local papers, though the wire services did not carry them.
These missile tests are peculiarly different from the general run of flying-saucer reports. Contrasted with the Chiles-Whitted, Mantell, and other s.p.a.ce-ship sightings, they stand out with a certain pattern, easy to recognize. News or radio reports of these tests might accidentally give an enemy clues to the type, speed, and range of this particular missile, once he learned the pattern. Periodic censorship, or even a complete blackout of sighting reports, may be enforced during the next year or so.
For the purposes mentioned, such action would be
justified. But whenever such censorship is lifted, the complete truth about s.p.a.ce visitors should be told at the same time: the full details of all the major cases, the size of the G.o.dman Field s.p.a.ce ship, any attempted landings or other efforts at contact by interplanetary visitors, and all other details that now are official secrets.
I also believe that a certain group of disk sightings in this country is linked with our guided missiles. Official announcements, of course, may be delayed a long time. With this exception, I believe that Americans should be told the truth, now.
When the announcement of our guided missiles is made, some Americans not familiar with the facts may accept it as a full answer. If officials are not yet ready to reveal the s.p.a.ce-travel facts, the Mantell evidence and other key cases may be deliberately glossed over.
But even if all the evidence--the world-wide sightings, the old records, the Chiles-Whitted and other cases--should be completely ignored, Americans cannot escape eventual contact with dwellers on other planets. Even though s.p.a.ce visitors never attempt contact with us, sooner or later earthlings will be traveling to distant planets--planets that scientists have said are almost surely inhabited.
The American people have proved their ability to take incredible things. We have survived the stunning impact of the Atomic Age. We should be able to take the Interplanetary Age, when it comes, without hysteria.