A Guide to Peterborough Cathedral - novelonlinefull.com
You’re read light novel A Guide to Peterborough Cathedral Part 7 online at NovelOnlineFull.com. Please use the follow button to get notification about the latest chapter next time when you visit NovelOnlineFull.com. Use F11 button to read novel in full-screen(PC only). Drop by anytime you want to read free – fast – latest novel. It’s great if you could leave a comment, share your opinion about the new chapters, new novel with others on the internet. We’ll do our best to bring you the finest, latest novel everyday. Enjoy
[Ill.u.s.tration: YOV SEE OLD SCARLEITS PICTVRE STAND ON HIE BVT AT YOVR FEETE THERE DOTH HIS BODY LYE HIS GRAVESTONE DOTH HIS AGE AND DEATH TIME SHOW HIS OFFICE BY THEIS TOKENS YOV MAY KNOW SECOND TO NONE FOR STRENGTH AND STVRDYE LIMM A SCAREBABE MIGHTY VOICE WITH VISAGE GRIM HEE HAD INTERD TWO QVEENES WITHIN THIS PLACE AND THIS TOWNES HOVSE HOLDERS IN HIS LIVES s.p.a.cE TWICE OVER: BVT AT LENGTH HIS OWN TVRN CAME WHAT HEE FOR OTHERS DID FOR HIM THE SAME WAS DONE: NO DOVBT HIS SOVL DOTH LIVE FOR AYE IN HEAVEN: THO HERE HIS BODY CLAD IN CLAY.]
As you enter the south aisle of the choir, upon the wall is a neat marble tablet to the _Rev. Dr. William Parker_, who died October 3rd, 1730.
Next, in a recess, is a tablet to abbot _Andreas_, and two of his predecessors, with the following Latin inscription:--
"Hos tres abbates quibus est prior abba Iohannes Alter Martinus, Andreas ultimus unus Hic claudit tumulus; pro clausis ergo rogemus."
The following is a free translation of the above:--
"_These three abbots, of whom the first is abbot John, The other Martin, the last Andrew, This one tomb shuts up [incloses]; therefore for those shut up, let us pray._"
Above this is a small tablet to the memory of _Mary_, the wife of the _Rev. Payne Edmunds_.
Next, is a marble tablet to _Robert Pemberton_, who was a magistrate of this city, and steward to the Rev. the Dean and Chapter. He died in 1695, in the 75th year of his age.
Near these, removed from the old chapter-house, founded by king Peada, are the statues of _three other abbots_, whose names are unknown.
Adjoining, is an effigy of _Abbot Alexander_, whose body, with his boots and crosier, were found by some workmen when making a foundation for the new choir in 1830, as related at page 15 of this work.
Opposite to this, is a black marble slab, beneath which the body of _Mary, Queen of Scots_, was at first deposited, and remained for twenty-five years, when it was disinterred and removed to Westminster Abbey, by order of her son, king James the 1st. Hanging near it is the original letter of the king ordering the removal. See note on page 29.
At the end of this aisle are two handsome compartments; the left hand, to the memory of _Joseph Stamford_, who died in 1683; and the right hand, to _Thomas Whitwell_, who died at Wisbech in 1759.
Above that of _Joseph Stamford_, is a tablet to _Francis Lockier_, who died 1740; and below, a small tablet to _John Speechley_, for 33 years organist of the cathedral.
We now enter the building known by the name of
The New Building.
"The whole appearance of the interior of this beautiful building is grand and imposing in the extreme; its roof, which is composed of the elaborate fan vaulting, for which the Perpendicular style is so famous, rises from slender shafts, and is ornamented with large and handsome bosses, upon each of which is carved a shield, with armorial bearings.
In these respects, as well as in the general aspect of its details, this building so nearly resembles the n.o.ble chapel of King's College, Cambridge, as to warrant the supposition that they were both erected from the designs of one architect. The New Building is lighted by thirteen very fine windows, two of which are filled with modern painted gla.s.s. The s.p.a.ce below the windows is occupied by a rich cornice, an elegant arcade, and a stone seat. Here is to be seen a monument, till lately supposed to be that of abbot Hedda and his monks, whose ma.s.sacre by the Danes was spoken of in the first chapter of this work, which is considered to be one of the oldest christian monuments now extant in England." See note on page 4.
At the south end of this building, are the remains of a beautiful marble monument, erected by Sir Humphrey Orme, the destruction of which is recorded at page 34 of this work.
By the side of this monument are two tablets, one in memory of _Archdeacon Davys_, his wife _Selina_, and their son _John William Owen_; underneath which is a black tablet, surmounted by a shield, bearing a coat of arms, with a mitre, in memory of _Francis Jeune, D.C.L._, twenty-fifth bishop of Peterborough, who died in 1868.
On the south-east side of the altar, is a very stately and handsome marble monument of the Corinthian order; on which is a portraiture of the gentleman for whom it was erected, lying on his left side, and leaning on a cushion, with his hand upon a scull; above which statue is this inscription--
"Sacred to the memory of _Thomas Deacon_, Esq., a native of this city; sometime high sheriff of this county: a person eminent for his morality and good life; a true son of the established church: a constant attendant on her worship and service: his piety consisted not in empty profession, but in sincerity and unaffected truth. He had an ample estate, which he fairly acquired, and increased by an honest industry, and managed with excellent prudence, and disposed of to laudable purposes. His charity (even in the time of his life) was very large, extensive, and exemplary; of which he has left a lasting monument in this city, by founding a charity school, and endowing it with a freehold estate, of above one hundred and sixty pounds per annum: And also, by settling another estate of twenty-five pounds per annum, for a constant annual distribution of alms to poor ancient inhabitants of this city. Having thus laid up in store to himself a good foundation against the time to come, he quietly departed this life, on the 19th day of August, 1721, aged 70 years.
"To whose memory as an instance of her conjugal affection, Mary, his sorrowful relict, caused this monument to be erected."
Beneath his effigy, and upon the front of the tomb, is the following inscription--
"In memory of _Mary_, the relict of Thomas Deacon, Esq.; daughter of John Harvey, of Spalding, gent. To which place she was a kind generous benefactor, and bestowed upwards of 400 in pious and useful charities. She gave also to Fleet 250, for founding a charity school in that parish. To the poor of this city, she extended her daily bounty, so private as not to be told; so large as not to be equalled; to which she added several public benefactions, and gave towards augmenting the vicarage of St. John Baptist 100; and likewise 100 to the salary of the grammar school; she died January 27th, 1730, aged 77 years."
In a recess adjoining this monument, is a neat tablet to the memory of _Mary_, the mother of the Rev. J. S. Pratt, formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, and vicar of the parish of St. John the Baptist, Peterborough.
Underneath this, a handsome tablet to the late _William Strong_, D.D., forty-five years archdeacon of this diocese, and for nearly half a century a magistrate for the Liberty of Peterborough.
Near the last monument, behind the altar screen, are interred the remains of six bishops, viz.:--_c.u.mberland_, _Kennett_, _Hinchcliffe_, _Madan_, _Marsh and Davys_; tablets to the four latter, are in the recess opposite the large painted window.
Beneath these, is an effigy, supposed to be that of _Abbot William de Hotot_, who died in 1250.
On the north-east side of the altar, is a very handsome marble monument to _Bishop c.u.mberland_, great grandfather to the celebrated dramatist of that name.
Beneath this, is a neat tablet to _Joseph Parsons_, formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, and _Let.i.tia_, his wife; near which, is a monument erected to his intimate friend _William Tournay_, D.D., also a prebendary of this cathedral, and of St. Peter's, Westminster, and for twenty-five years warden of Wadham College, Oxford, &c.
Adjoining, are the remains of an ancient shrine, supposed to be that of _St. Ibba_.
Above this is a marble tablet to _Louisa Cole_, of the Vineyard.
On leaving the Lady Chapel, in the north aisle of the choir, is a splendid monument to _Richard Trice_, beneath which is a handsome double _piscina_.
Opposite to this, a small marble monument to _Frances_, wife of _Dean Cosin_, who died March 25th, 1642; above which is an epitaph to _Dorothy_, the wife of _Francis Standish_, formerly precentor of this cathedral, who died in 1689.
Opposite, is another plain black marble slab, similar to that in the south aisle, with a small bra.s.s inscription which marks the grave of _Catherine of Arragon_.
On the north wall of the side aisle is a monument by the celebrated Gibbons, with the following inscription--
"Sacred to the memory of _Constance_, daughter of _John May_, of Rawmeare, in Suss.e.x, Esquire; and of _Constance_, his wife, one of the daughters and co-heiress of _Thomas Panton_, of Westminster, knight and baronet, and wife of _John Workman_, prebendary of this church, who, having by all christian virtues and good qualities, been an ornament to her worthy family, and an honour to all her relations in her life, resigned up her soul to G.o.d with admirable patience at her death; she deceased in childbed at London; and, together with her infant son, she was according to her desire, here interred, where she had frequently worshipped G.o.d, in hope of a joyful resurrection, September 30th, A.D. 1681."
Next, is a tablet to _James Duport_, formerly dean of this cathedral, chaplain to Charles II., and professor of Greek at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Adjoining, is another tablet to the memory of the _Rev. John Workman_, M.A., formerly a prebendary of this cathedral, and rector of Peakirk, &c.
Next, is a tablet to _William Rowles_, of Washingley, and _Ann Wilkinson_, his daughter.
The next is to the _Rev. William Gery_, also a prebendary of this cathedral, and Susannah, his wife, who lived together 47 years. This is a very handsome tablet.
The last is a handsome tablet to the _Rev. William Waring_, A.M., formerly master of the grammar school, who died 1726, aged 66.
In a small chapel, known as the Morning Chapel, dedicated to St. John and St. James, is some _ancient tapestry_; one piece representing St.
Peter and St. John healing the lame man at the beautiful gate of the temple; the other representing St. Peter's deliverance from prison. In the north-east corner is a tablet to the _Rev. John Stevens_, A.M., rector of Folksworth, Hunts.; and in the centre of the east wall is a stained gla.s.s window, representing four scenes from the life of our Lord. Here also are the remains of the woodwork of the _old choir_, which have been converted into seats, and will serve to show to the curious its former character and style.
Which is placed above the screen, dividing the nave from the choir, is a very fine toned instrument, and was built in 1809, by the late Mr.
Allen, of Sutton Street, Soho. It has within the last few years been much improved and enlarged. It contains forty-eight stops, viz.:--twelve in the great organ, twelve in the swell, ten in the choir, eight in the pedal organ, and six couplers. These improvements were made by H. P. Gates, Esq., of the Vineyard, and are commemorated by a bra.s.s plate on the south side of the organ, inscribed as follows: "To the praise and glory of G.o.d and memory of John and Frances Gates, this organ was re-built and enlarged at the charge of Henry Pearson Gates, their son, Anno Domini 1871." The case of the instrument, which is of carved oak, presents towards the nave, a front in the early English style, while on the side looking into the choir, the fronts are decorated, to harmonize with the interior fittings.
As we enter the choir, the bishop's throne, with the stalls, pulpit, pews, and altar screen burst upon us, all of which are beautifully carved. The altar screen is composed of a soft white stone, found near Cambridge; the rest that we have mentioned, is oak, very finely carved in the decorated style of architecture. The bishop's throne especially, with its ogee canopies, and elegant and almost fairy-like spire, rivets the eye of the spectator. The _coup d'oeil_ of the choir is so strikingly beautiful, from the good arrangement and entire keeping of the whole, that it can scarcely be surpa.s.sed.
At the east end, immediately under the large window, are three tablets with the names of all the Abbots, Bishops, and Deans from the foundation of the monastery to the present time, of which the following is a copy:--